Friday, November 19, 2010

Giving thanks by giving: Down doesn't mean out



This week, I posted a blog of my personal participation in a small project to provide swags shelters for homeless folks this Christmas, and tweeted it to my 4800 followers on Twitter, thinking that Metcalfe's law would kick in and I would easily attract support.

Turns out it DOESN't work. Twitter is about weak ties, not personal relationships.  It got retweeted a gazillion times, but the only contributions I received bar one from a French guy in Paris, came from a small number of people I have a heart-to-heart personal relationship, ie strong ties with. 

These were folks who knew me, my values, my passion and wanted to acknowledge that, more so than the cause. Funny enough, 2 ex boyfriends were the biggest single donors. 
Lesson here: People are drawn to each other because of similar values, but, it doesn't always work out. When that happens, breaking up without damaging each other is so important.  If you can still treat one another with an "open heart", dignity and respect, you will feel all the better for it, and whilst it may hurt at the time, the healing eventually happens and then a beautiful and life-long friendship can be the reward of all those shared times. 
My blogpost has now been viewed 3000 times and I have personally raised about $3500 in 3 days with my efforts, which will buy about 50 swags for people without a home or bed, this Christmas. 

If this Thanksgiving or Christmas, you want to open your heart and give thanks by giving, click here now, and select team member: Annalie Killian http://www.everydayhero.com.au/itamp_mad .

And, if you don't, I am STILL grateful that you took the time to read this - magic is catalysed in unexpected ways and it will come back. 

We can't save everyone, but we do what we can. 


And don't forget, we still have 3 places for Thanksgiving dinner on 25/11 for singles in Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed in the spirit of honouring one another with love, respect and dignity.